What are the uses of different types of trucks and what kind of cargo are they suitable for? What are the dimensions of the truck? How many tons is the allowed load carrying capacity of a truck? How much does the truck weigh? In this article, we will answer all these questions by introducing one of the oldest types of heavy vehicles, the truck.
Truck is a French word Camion and its equivalent in English is Truck or Lorry. In almost all countries, trucks are considered to be the most widely used heavy goods vehicles next to trailers.
One of the determining factors in the cost of cargo transportation is the type of cargo truck. If you want to know the specifications and features of different types of trucks, stay with us.
Familiarity with the classification of types of trucks
We are faced with many parameters in the classification of trucks. From the division based on the weight of the truck to the ability to use it on the road and highway.
In general, types of trucks can be divided in 6 ways:
- Based on truck power
- Based on the axle and weight of the truck as well as the weight the truck can carry
- The type of wheels that are attached to the truck
- The type of connection of the tank with the tractor, which can be in the form of a trailer or a semi-trailer
- The method of unloading the truck, which includes unloading from the back, side, bottom or front
- The ability to use the truck in the road network, for example, your truck cannot travel in the city
In the following, we will examine the types of trucks in these divisions.
Knowing the types of trucks based on axle and weight
In this section, we introduce you to 2 commonly used trucks based on axle and weight.
1. Single truck
Single truck types have two axles, one moving axle and six wheels. Usually single trucks are shown with the term 4×2.
Single truck dimensions
- Length: 5.8 meters
- Width: 2.2 meters
- Floor to edge height: 1.1 to 1.2 meters
- Height from the ground: 1.45 to 1.6 meters
The permissible load carrying capacity of a single truck
- 10 to 12 tons
2. Types of coupled trucks
The coupled truck has three axles, two moving axles, ten wheels. Some trucks have a pair of eight wheels. Usually dump trucks are 6×4 and cargo trucks are 6×2. The first number indicates the number of wheels connected to the ground and the second number indicates the number of wheels connected to the differential.
A few trucks are also available as 8×6, out of the eight wheels of these types of trucks, six wheels are involved.
Couple truck dimensions
- Length: 6.8 to 7 meters
- Width: 2.35 to 2.45 meters
- Floor to edge height: 1.2 to 1.3 meters
- Height from the ground: 1.5 to 1.6 meters
Allowed load carrying capacity of a pair of trucks
- 15 tons
Types of trucks according to use
As mentioned above, trucks are divided into 6 ways, in this section we will introduce 11 truck models based on usage.
1. Box Truck
A truck with a fixed load that has a wall and a covered floor. The height of the load room wall from the floor of the room is maximum 1.5 meters.
Application of box truck
- Carrying packaged goods
- Livestock products
- Building Materials
2. Conventional Edged Trucks
All types of conventional edged trucks are loaded with strong and fixed walls. The height of the bar room wall is about 80 cm from the floor. These walls can be opened and closed, so it is possible to unload the load using a forklift. Also, due to this feature, this model of truck is also called as open side.
The use of all types of conventional edged trucks
- Carrying all kinds of goods, especially goods that are loaded and unloaded by the parties.
3. Tented Edged Trucks
Types of tented edged trucks have loading with short walls and protective metal bars, which are roofed with a polymer tent.
The use of a tented edged truck
- Carrying all kinds of goods packed in cartons and boxes
4. Types Of Trucks With Blades Or Containers
The bladed truck has a load that is divided into two equal parts by a longitudinal blade and the cargo container is placed on it.
Application of all kinds of bladed trucks
- Carrying all kinds of goods, both packaged and bulk
5. Flatbed Truck
Types of floor trucks have loading without cargo room walls, this feature allows access to all the required surface for loading. The floor truck has a floor covered with multi-layered wood with a waterproof and anti-scratch coating.
Application of all types of flatbed trucks
- Iron tools such as rebar, beam
- Rolled goods
- Packaged goods
- Road construction equipment
- heavy vehicles
6. Types Of Bunker Trucks
The bunker truck has a loading without a chassis, whose body is a closed and cylindrical metal tank. The operation mechanism of bunkers is based on gravity loading and unloading under compressed air, for this purpose, piping equipment and valves are installed in the bunker tank that compress the air and send it to the pipes.
Application of bunker truck
- Solid and malleable bulk items such as cement, flour, wheat, beet molasses, etc.
7. Types Of Roofed Trucks
Roofed truck has a loading in the shape of a rectangular cube. The cargo body is made of resistant and rust-resistant metal material, which ensures the health and safety of cargo against environmental and atmospheric hazards.
Application of roofed truck
- Home furniture transportation
- Postal shipments
8. Refrigerated Truck
The refrigerated truck has a roof loading with an insulated body and is equipped with a cooling system. Refrigerated trucks are used to transport perishable items and goods. These trucks are used to transport food.
Application of refrigerated truck
- Fruits and vegetables
- Protein material
- Frozen items (such as ice cream)
- Pharmaceutical and chemical substances
9. Dump Truck
The dump truck is loaded with a metal body. In the dump truck, the load is unloaded using a lifting hydraulic jack. The characteristic feature of dump trucks is quick and easy unloading.
The use of dump trucks
- All mineral and industrial materials in bulk such as plaster, sand, sand, etc.
- Transporting all agricultural materials in bulk such as corn, soybeans, flour, etc.
10. Types Of Tanker Trucks
The loading body of the tanker truck consists of a closed and cylindrical tank. Tanker trucks are used to transport different types of liquids. Tanker unloading is done by two methods, pumping and gravity (weight of the liquid itself). A separate pump motor is required for liquid pumping.
The material of the tanker body is different depending on the type of liquids they carry.
- Steel body for transporting four fuels (gasoline, diesel, diesel, kerosene)
- Steel body for carrying sanitary liquids
- Aluminum body for carrying special liquids such as aircraft fuel
- Body with anti-corrosion insulation suitable for carrying acidic and alkaline liquids
Application of all types of tanker trucks
- Different types of liquids (which we mentioned above)
11. Types Of Mixer Trucks
The mixer truck is loaded in the form of a closed tank and equipped with a mixer. Transporting concrete ingredients requires a method that prevents the materials from hardening until they reach the place of consumption, so a rotating tank is installed in the mixer truck to mix these materials.
Application of mixer truck
- Concrete ingredients
Types of commonly used trucks were examined in this article. In general, the types of trucks have a high variety.