In today’s world, data is considered a valuable asset. This is especially true in manufacturing industries, where engineering data plays a key role in the development, production and support of products. Engineering data management (EDM) is a process that focuses on the collection, organization, storage and management of engineering data. This process helps companies to increase productivity, improve quality and reduce costs.
Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) A comprehensive approach to managing all data related is the product. Through the integration of processes, systems and data, this approach helps companies bring products to market faster, with higher quality and more cost-effectively.
The connection between EDM and PLM
EDM is a key component of PLM. Engineering data is the foundation of any product, and effective management of this data is essential to PLM success. EDM helps companies to:
- Collect and organize engineering data effectively.
- Facilitate access to engineering data for authorized users.
- Maintain control of engineering data changes.
- Use engineering data for various purposes, such as product development, manufacturing, and product support.
Advantages of PLM engineering data management
PLM engineering data management brings several benefits to companies, including:
- Increase Productivity: EDM can help companies save time and money. For example, EDM can help companies to:
- design products faster and more efficiently.
- Make production processes simpler and more efficient.
- Make change management easier and more effective.
- Quality improvement: EDM can help companies to improve the quality of their products. For example, EDM can help companies to:
- Reduce errors in design and production.
- Improve product traceability.
- Market products in accordance with legal and regulatory requirements.
- Cost reduction: EDM can help companies to reduce their costs. For example, EDM can help companies to:
- Reduce product development costs.
- reduce production costs.
- Reduce product support costs.
PLM engineering data management challenges
PLM engineering data management also has challenges, including:
- High volume of engineering data: The volume of engineering data can be very large. This can make it difficult to manage and control this data.
- Variety of engineering data: Engineering data can be of many types, including CAD data, CAE data, CAM data, and BOM data. Managing and integrating this diverse data can be difficult.
- Need for collaboration between different teams: Engineering data is often used by different teams, including design teams, production teams, and product support teams. Managing and sharing this data between different teams can be difficult.
PLM engineering data management solutions
To overcome the challenges of PLM engineering data management, companies can use various solutions, including:
- Using engineering data management (EDM) software: EDM software can help companies effectively collect, organize, save and manage.
- Establish engineering data management processes and procedures
- Training employees on engineering data management
PLM engineering data management is an important process for manufacturing companies. This process helps companies to increase productivity, improve quality and reduce costs.